Throughout the pandemic, people have been turning to their pets for a sense of comfort and stability during a difficult time.
Now, as summer is well under way and travel has opened up around the world, vacationing is back. And not just for humans, but for pets too.
This man, influencer JJ Yosh, took his cat Simon Yosh — known as Backpacking Kitty — with him on his five-star vacation. And you can do it, too.
Is Traveling With Your Pet On Vacation a Good Idea?
The Pros of Traveling With Your Pet
Although it might make travel more stressful for some pet owners, taking a pet on vacation can also provide normalcy and comfort in your travels. Not to mention, if you bring your pet with you, you may experience these pros too:
- You don’t have to worry about paying for a pet sitter or a house sitter — it’s one less expense
- Many places are now accommodating to people traveling with pets (some have even added pet-friendly food to their menus)
- Taking your pet on vacation with you, the choice might lead you to choose new destinations you might not have otherwise
The Cons Of Taking A Pet On A Vacation
Bringing your furry friend with you can make traveling more fun. But it can also make it more stressful. If you’re considering bringing your pet with you, consider the pros as well as these potential cons:
- There could be extra pet fees involved, depending on flight policies and where you’re ultimately going to stay
- If you have to worry about taking your dog for a walk, you might not be able to focus on and do all the activities you want.
- Traveling might cause your pet a level of anxiety and stress that is uncomfortable for them
Don’t Have A Pet Yet?
If you don’t have a pet yet, and you travel a lot, you may be considering adding a furry friend to your life. According to the Human-Animal Bond Research Institute, there are many mental health benefits to having a pet such as:
- Alleviating stress
- Improving overall mood
- Helping fight depression
- Reducing loneliness
- Improving an owner’s well-being over time
And yes, you can travel with them, too.
Things To Remember Before You Travel With Your Pet
No matter what pet you have, it’s important to remember a few things before you embark on your journey together. Make sure you know where the closest vet is. It’s also important to know what if any, medications your pet takes and what to bring with you.
According to this ASPCA article, it’s also important to have a pet-friendly travel kit. “Bring food, a bowl, leash, a waste scoop, plastic bags, grooming supplies, medication and first-aid, and any travel documents.”
Although it can be more work taking your pet on vacation, it can also be wonderful to have your furry friend with you and go on unexpected adventures. Happy traveling!